I recently taught a community education class that included Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
Quite honestly, I typically don’t teach these classes but I did it because a friend of mine is the director of the local community education and she asked me to do these classes. I don’t teach classes in a classroom setting because I think there is a better way to learn about computers.
Approximately eight people signed up for these classes. Four people did reviews. Two people liked the classes and two people didn’t like them. Honestly, I don’t think they liked my approach to computer classes. For you see, we didn’t use computers. What I did is I showed that my top 20 tips on each subject and I then led them to my website www.TeachAnOldDogNewTricks.com where they could watch videos I had created each subject matter.
Why am I telling you this?
I believe learning has changed forever. If you don’t know how to do something, just Google it and you will find instructions and videos on how to accomplish what you don’t know. My experience has been that if I taught people on computers they would have forgotten most of what I taught them. What I was trying to teach them is that it’s okay to forget most of what you’ve learned because you always have websites like mine and Google to quickly find instructions on what you’ve forgotten how to do. My feeling is that it is more important in this day and age to expose people things they should know about and let them realize that they don’t have to remember everything. If you really learn a piece of software I believe you will only use about 20% of its capability on a regular basis. It is good to be exposed to some of the other 80% and it is okay to recognize within yourself that you are most likely to forget 90% of that 80%. When you do, there were resources to help you remember how to do something you might have seen a year ago. Just Google it. Even though I’m referencing software, this can apply to virtually anything you want to learn about and the sooner you start thinking in that respect the easier it will be to recognize that you don’t have to remember everything.
My experience has been that that is an incredibly freeing realization. So as we approach the year 2015 don’t be afraid to forget.